East Africa’s only Canopy Walk
In October 2010, the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) launched canopy walk tourism in Nyungwe National Park as part of a strategy to diversify tourism attractions. Canopy tourism is also aimed at encouraging tourists to spend a longer time in Rwanda.
The Canopy Walk is the first of its kind in East Africa and the third of its kind in Africa .
This is the first ever hanging platform that allows tourists to view different animal species in Nyungwe Forest. The dizzying platform is above a steep and deep valley stretching across the massive forest.
John Gara, CEO of the RDB, said the platform is 50 meters above ground level and 90 meters long. It allows tourists to view butterflies, birds and blue monkeys that dwell in the upper levels of the forest. The forest has 13 rare primate species, the world’s largest ever recorded arboreal troop of black/white colobus monkeys, and nearly 300 species of birds and 154 types of orchids.
Visiting the Canopy Walk
Arrange your visit to the Canopy Walk at the Uwinka Visitor Center!
FACTS ABOUT CANOPY WALK IN NYUNGWE FOREST NATIONAL PARK, RWANDA
- This walkway is constructed on the Igishigishigi trail and leaves 1 km from Uwinka. It leads to a 200m trail, suspended between giant trees. It offers a magnificent view of the upper canopy and is also a very good bird- watching area.
- The Canopy walk way is among the new tourist attractions launched in Nyungwe Forest national Park. It was introduced to enable tourists view a wide range of attractions found in Nyungwe Forest.
- Currently, Nyungwe canopy walk way is the only one of that kind in East Africa. That is why many tourists endure to go to Rwanda to Visit Nyungwe Forest National park, no matter the long distance from Kigali city to the park. It is estimated to be 8-9hours drive from Kigali to Nyungwe Forest National Park.
- The canopy walkway is suspended above the tree canopy to enable tourists view birds, tree species, primates, butter flies and so on.
- Currently, canopy walk cost US$ 75 per person and the activity is conducted every day, all year round depending on the availability.
- Canopy walk is scheduled in the morning and afternoon basing on the availability of clients wishing to enjoy the experience.
- Canopy walking experience is among the top enjoyed activity in Nyungwe Forest National park. It is believed to be the second liked after primate trekking.
- Canopy walk is safe due to the fact that it was installed by experts.